Photo Zero (Safe Edition)
Photography is the act of documenting our observations. It's an art form directly influenced by how we see the world and our emotional responses to what we observe.
It’s not the camera that creates the photographs, it’s you. Change the way you see, and your photos will follow suit.
I put together Photo Zero sharing everything I've learned over the course of my photography journey. Things I learned from shooting campaigns for some of the biggest brands in the world, having my work exhibited in galleries, self-publishing a coffee table book, creating multiple revenue streams, and living as a full-time freelance photographer.
I also included relevant lessons I learned from going to trade school for graphic design.
My argument is that an engaging photo doesn’t depend solely on the camera and its capabilities. It depends, largely, on the person looking through the viewfinder. Specifically; how they see light, what they feel, how they emotionally react to the information they have taken in, and how much imagination they involve in their everyday life.
Photo Zero is a digital photography handbook that prioritizes the eye behind the view-finder - with the belief that the eye plays a bigger role in creating a photograph than the camera itself. It explores photography through the observation of light, the study of design, and the examination of our inner world.
Summery of Topics:
- The importance of developing a unique artistic voice and style.
- Exploring various aspects of composition, such as patterns, negative space, and synergy.
- Drawing inspiration from other art forms, like painting, to understand light and texture better.
- Understanding the painter's eye and how it can be applied to photography.
- Delving into portraiture and its various elements, including lighting, expressions, and backgrounds.
- Choosing the right lenses and understanding their impact on portraiture.
- Mastering poses and effectively directing subjects during portrait sessions.
- Recognizing the value of personal projects, commissions, and homework for artistic growth.
- Emphasizing the importance of slowing down and allowing time for creative development.
- Investing in yourself and your art, treating them as valuable assets.
- Balancing the desire to work with brands and companies with the need for artistic integrity.
- Building a brand around yourself as an artist, increasing your leverage in the industry.
- Encouraging openness to learning, relearning, and continuous improvement.
- Cultivating a strong online presence, including maintaining a website and forming a community through a mailing list.
- Embracing curiosity and exploration in the pursuit of artistic growth.
- Incorporating meditation and mindfulness practices to enhance focus, creativity, and self-awareness in photography.
introducing Photo Zero, a photography book that emphasizes the importance of the photographer's perception and intuition over technical camera knowledge. The book covers various aspects of photography, including basics of camera operation, designing with light and shadow, exploring abstract synergistic relationships, understanding light and textures, and mastering portraiture. Additionally, it delves into the business side of being an artist, sharing insights on marketing, pricing, and income diversification. Each chapter concludes with field assignments to encourage practical application. The handbook is meant to be a reference and companion for growth, emphasizing the importance of curiosity, dedication, patience, and an open mind.
By integrating these lessons into your photography practice, you can continue to grow as an artist and create meaningful work.
162 Pages + practices and homework (you don't have to turn anything in).
Basic knowledge of the operations of a camera of any sort.
Open-mindedness, patience, and dedication.
The PDF comes stamped with your name and information, so if you experience a slight delay between your purchase and download screen, don't be alarmed. It might take a minute or two.
There are no returns.
Please enter your email address during checkout to receive the download link.
Chapter 0 - Breath
Chapter zero delves into the transformative aspects of photography as both a craft and a meditative practice. By focusing on the inherent qualities of mindfulness and presence, photography becomes a powerful means of slowing down and alleviating anxiety. This chapter explores the vital roles of intuition, patience, and curiosity in the creative process.
Emphasizing the significance of objectivity, inquisitiveness, and independence, the chapter encourages artists to forge their own paths. It highlights the importance of venturing into uncharted territories, challenging conventional norms, and cultivating a distinctive style of expression. Through this exploration, artists can foster growth and develop a deeper connection with their work.
Chapter 1 - Basics
Chapter one covers the basic mechanics of the camera, the importance of understanding how different lenses impact the representation of reality in photographs, various types of film stock, the importance of understanding natural light in photography and how the sun's position affects the quality of light, the benefits of working with limited resources, highlighting the importance of resourcefulness, adaptability, and creativity in overcoming challenges and improving one's photography skills, and the debate between Digital Photography vs. Film Photography.
There are several videos and articles on the internet that teach the basics of using a camera and in this chapter, I provide links to trusted sources that cover the topics. This chapter also discusses the importance of not relying too much on technology, such as light meters, while practicing photography. It emphasizes the need for experimentation and taking chances to create more compelling images.
Chapter 2 - Design
Chapter Two offers a fresh perspective on the perception of light and its interaction with various elements.
Patterns: Recognize and use patterns in photography to create visually appealing images. This can include natural patterns found in nature or man-made patterns such as architecture.
Negative space: Utilize negative space to emphasize the subject, create balance, and add a sense of simplicity to your photos. This technique helps to draw the viewer's eye to the main subject and can make the image more impactful.
Composition: Understand and apply various compositional techniques, such as the rule of thirds, leading lines, and framing. These methods can help you create visually engaging and dynamic images that effectively communicate your intended message.
Chapter 3 - Synergy
Chapter three is about making associations between points of interest in a non-obvious way; seeing beyond the surface. In the chapter discussing synergy, the focus is on creating a sense of harmony and unity between different elements in a photograph. By carefully considering the relationships between colors, textures, and shapes, photographers can enhance the overall composition of their images. Achieving synergy in a photo means that each element complements and supports the others, resulting in a visually engaging and coherent image. This concept encourages photographers to think about the interconnectedness of their subjects and elements, ultimately leading to more impactful and well-rounded photographs.
Chapter 4 - Texture
In this chapter we discuss the relationship between photography and paintings, the emphasis is on the importance of adopting a painter's eye when capturing images. This approach involves paying close attention to light, shadows, and textures in a scene, much like a painter would when creating a masterpiece on canvas. By studying paintings and understanding the techniques used by painters, photographers can enhance their own work by incorporating a deeper understanding of light and textures. This method allows photographers to elevate their images, making them not just visually pleasing but also imbued with a sense of depth and emotion akin to the impact of great paintings.
Chapter 5 - Portraiture
The chapter on portraiture delves into the various components that contribute to capturing impactful and meaningful portraits. It underlines the necessity of forming a connection with the subject, comprehending their personality, and conveying their true essence through authentic emotions. The crucial role of lighting and composition in creating visually appealing portraits is also emphasized. Additionally, selecting the right lenses and guiding the subject into flattering poses are vital to achieving the desired outcome. Furthermore, the chapter highlights the photographer's duty to direct their subjects and ensure their comfort throughout the session. By focusing on these integral aspects of portraiture, photographers can create images that genuinely represent the uniqueness and spirit of the people they photograph, leading to captivating and powerful portraits.
Chapter 7 - Business
- Developing your unique photographic style: Learn how to find your artistic voice and stand out from the crowd.
- Embracing downtime: Understand the importance of taking breaks to nurture your creativity and cultivate inspiration.
- Balancing artistry and commercial opportunities: Discover how to pursue your passion while maximizing your earning potential.
- Building a strong personal brand: Learn the value of establishing yourself as an artist and leveraging your brand for increased success.
- Effectively pricing your services: Gain insights into how to confidently set your rates and negotiate with clients.
- Navigating client negotiations: Understand the art of compromise and find ways to meet clients' needs while maintaining your artistic integrity.
- Establishing a community: Learn the importance of forming connections and building a network of supporters and collaborators.
- Investing in your art and yourself: Discover how to use your resources to grow your career and create a sustainable future in photography.
- Adapting to change and relearning: Be open to new ideas and techniques, and embrace the ongoing process of growth and development in your craft.
- Leveraging social media and digital platforms: Understand how to use online tools to showcase your work, engage with your audience, and grow your business.
- Focusing on your craft and creativity: Learn how to prioritize your artistic vision and stay true to your passion, even as you navigate the challenges of a professional photography career.
Assignments & Commissions
Some chapter end with assignments, commissions, or both. The commissions and homework are included on the basis of self-initiated projects and assignments for photographers seeking to enhance their skills and push their creative boundaries. By assigning themselves regular tasks, photographers can explore different subjects, techniques, and styles, which can contribute significantly to their artistic growth. These personal projects not only encourage photographers to step out of their comfort zones but also help them develop a better understanding of their unique artistic voice. Embracing the concept of commissions and homework allows photographers to continually challenge themselves, resulting in an ever-evolving and diverse portfolio, ultimately aiding in the development of a versatile and adaptable skill set.